Hilfe zur Schriftgrößenänderung

Specific Information for U.S. Visitors


Passwort vergessen?

Geben Sie Ihre Mitgliedsnummer und Ihr Passwort ein, um sich an der DARC-Website anzumelden:

Specific Information for U.S. Visitors

License Classes

It is important to know your license class reciprocal privileges under the CEPT T/R 61-01 recommendation, especially if you are a General or Technician class licensee. There is no requirement to submit any paperwork or pay a fee for up to three months as a visitor to Germany. Only if you hold a residence permit will you be able to receive a German call sign.

Extra & Advanced:  Full operating privileges (license class "A" in Germany)
General:  CEPT Novice privileges (license class "E" in Germany)
Technician:  No operating privileges under the CEPT T/R 61-01 or CEPT ECC/REC (05)06 recommendations in Germany (note that some other countries have a limited beginner license that may accept the Technician as equivalent)


Extra & Advanced: DL/call
General:  DO/call

What to Bring Along

1) Your original US license;
2) Proof of US citizenship (your Passport)
3) A copy of the FCC's CEPT Public Notice
4) HT's, etc. can be brought along without any customs declaration necessary, as long as you intend to take them home with you


- Details on frequencies, modes, etc. can be found under Annex A in the document "AFuV March 2008 kurz_englisch.pdf" found under the Rules & Regulations menu on the left.
- Other information relevant to visitors from the U.S. can be found in this article from Mitch Wolfson, DJØQN, in the June, 2009 issue of CQ Magazine
- The U.S. amateur radio exams are given several times per year in Germany. These are given only in English and the license can be used to apply for a German license at the equivalent level (see above) for permanent residents. If you are a permanent resident, would like to become a radio amateur and do not speak German, this would be a good method to use. For a list of testing sites and dates, see: http://www.us-lizenz.de/ or http://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/search.

Moving to Germany?

This procedure is only necessary if you become a permanent resident of Germany and/or are staying here longer than the three month period covered by the CEPT T/R 61-01 recommendation.

If you are a civilian, use the procedure provided on the main visitor to DL page. If you are covered under the SOFA agreement, there is a different procedure. Contact the Bundesnetzagentur (BNetzA), Alter Hellweg 56, 44379 Dortmund, Germany. Phone: +49-(0)208-4507-260, E-Mail: Dort10-Postfach(at)BNetzA.de for details.